Why knowledge is better than wealth
Posted by anakkawi on November 29, 2007
Once ten wise men came to Hadhrat Ali(RA) and posed this question: ‘Why is knowledge better than wealth?’ Each of these men demanded a separate answer in turn. Hadhrat Ali(RA) gave the following answers:-
1. Knowledge is better than wealth because you guard wealth, whereas knowledge guards you.
2. Knowledge is better than wealth because the wealthy have enemies and the learned have many friends.
3. Knowledge is better than wealth because the former is a legacy of the Prophets, and the latter is a heritage of the Pharaohs.
4. Knowledge is better because it increases with distribution whereas wealth decreases.
5. Knowledge is better because a wealthy person generally becomes a miser.
6. Knowledge is better because unlike wealth, it cannot be stolen.
7. Knowledge is better because the wealthy person has to give an account of his wealth on the Day of Judgment.
8. Knowledge is better because it does not deteriorate on account of time, while wealth does.
9. Knowledge is better because the mind is illuminated by it, whereas wealth tarnishes it.
10. Knowledge is better than wealth because the Pharaohs and the non-believers claimed divinity (God) on account of wealth.
‘Whoever treads a way against the Sunnah of the Prophet (SAW) he will never reach his destination.’ (Shaykh Saadi)